Capcom’s second release in the Okami series, “Okamiden,” will be available for the Nintendo DS on March 15, but you can play it today. The well-hidden Nintendo Channel on the Wii holds the key to unlocking this painterly pearl of a DS demo.
Although the demo is disappointingly short, it certainly captures the essence of the game. It seems extremely similar to the PlayStation 2 version, but hopefully when the full game is released, there will be a few new gameplay elements to satiate even the strongest celestial-brush desires.
The full process for downloading the demo is detailed below.
If, like most people, you’ve never even used the Nintendo Channel, follow these steps:
- Turn on your Wii and start the “Wii Shop Channel.” (you must have internet access)
- Select “Start Shopping” and then “Wii Channels.”
- Scroll down until you find the Nintendo Channel, and download it to your console.
Once you have the channel, you can then get the demo by:
- Start the channel and agree to all the terms.
- After the channel menu shows up, select the icon at the bottom that looks like two DS screens — this is the DS download service.
- Okamiden should be at the top of the list. Select it and the demo should automatically download and begin transmitting.
That’s all you need to do on the Wii side; it’s time to get out your DS.
- Turn on the DS and select “DS Download Play” on the main screen.
- It should start scanning for the demo and an icon should eventually appear that says “Okamiden Demo.”
- Select the demo and the DS will begin downloading it.
- After about a minute, you’ll be playing Okamiden!
What a user-friendly process…
Once the DS is turned off, the demo will no longer be available. The “transmitting from Wii and downloading to DS” process will have to be repeated in order to play it.